Monday, August 22, 2011

Woodsy Adventure

From the moment I woke up on Sunday morning I knew that it was going to be a great day! I woke up and left Jon in bed, and was looking forward to some peaceful moments. Just me and my coffee. As I was making my coffee I heard thud, thud, thud down the stairs and here Jon came. I brewed my coffee, that smell is so inviting to me in the mornings. I decided that I was hungry and cooked a portabello mushroom omlet. I offered Jon one but he declined.



We got ready after some morning lovin’ and headed out to buy me a new gun! I am now the proud owner of a Marlin 795 .22 semi-automatic! I love it! We came home to break it out of the box, load up some ammo, more guns, and off we went to go on a shooting escapade. Jon and I headed to his parents farm to shoot down in the “bottom”, where we wouldn’t bother anything or anyone. We shot for about 2-3 hours, and Jon kept praising me on how great I was doing. A few times I even out shot him. Words of praise are always great to hear, no matter what you may be doing.




After we shot for a while he asked me if I wanted to go kill a “Squack” aka Squirrel. Off we went exploring. We went and walked until we found a good grassy hideaway and we sat down, surrounded by God knows what. On our walk we passed a box turtle, the things that nature blesses us with is amazing. We heard a squirrel eating an acorn. The leaves were falling off the trees, and the sound would deafen you. It’s incredible when in complete solitude how things seem much more alive. We sat in the woods for a good hour or so before deciding to leave. As we were leaving I spotted a doe on the top of the hill to the right of me. I whispered to Jon, and he quickly grabbed his gun with the scope to take a peek at her. Him and her played peek -a-boo, as she hid her head behind a tree. Jon began to stomp his feet and “grunt” at her, as he wanted me to hear what a deer sounds like in distress/or being scared. It’s definitely a sound that I won’t ever forget. A shrill squeal almost.



Being completely surrounded by nature, in solitude not knowing what is watching your every move is exhilarating. It’s also incredibly peaceful and I’ve not felt that at “ease” in such a long time.



Jon knows that I have not been “hiking” since I lost my leg, but he didn’t even question my ability to climb the grassy/root covered hill. At times I held onto him, but for the most part I was able to do it on my own accord. I’m not sure that he realizes that this made me happy and proud of myself, and thankful for him. Something so little, but something so amazing.



We went back to Jon’s parents house and visited with them for a while. His mom gave me a pear fresh from being picked, so delicious! My first time eating one picked from a tree. Jon bragged to his mom and dad about my shooting capabilities. *smile*



We came home and I cooked Oven Baked Chili Dogs for dinner and worked on a project.



All in all, a GREAT day!

The turtle Jon and I saw as we entered the woods.

My view from where I was sitting.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Sounds like a lovely day! I don't get too much of that here in the city! Is that where I have to go for some peace!? =D