Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Jon & A Wreck

You know that feeling when you wake up, that something is wrong. However, there's nothing that you can pin point. Everything seems fine so you go about your day.

Jon always calls me every day after he gets off work, just to say hello, let me know what he's doing after work and to tell each other "I love you." He did that Thursday afternoon and we were chatting when I heard something I NEVER want to hear again. I heard him scream, a crash, and his phone went dead. My heart dropped, I was crying knowing that he had just been in a wreck. I called him repeatedly and couldn't reach him. I packed my things and flew out the door of work. My boss told me to calm down, there was NO calming down. I had to get to him quickly, and here I was 45 miles away. I had no idea where he was just that he had to be somewhere in the vicinity of work. He finally called me back from another phone number and all he said was, "I Just totaled my truck.".

First words out of my mouth were, "Are you okay?". He said, yes he was. His arm and back were hurting though. I told him I was on my way.  My car could NOT go fast enough, I felt like i would never get there. I Cried the entire way, thankful I at least had heard his voice. When I arrived on scene, the police were yelling at me to keep going, and I told them to please tell me where to park that was my boyfriend. They finally told me where, and stopped traffic so I could walk across the highway. I saw Jon walking around, so I knew he wasn't hurt too badly and I just wanted to grab him and not let go.

A lady ran a light and hit him head on. He is so LUCKY that he's not hurt worse than he was. He has a couple bumps on his head, a knot on his arm, gash in his knee, cut up wrist, and a bruised shin. Other than that, he was LUCKY.

For that split moment not knowing if he was okay, was absolutely horrific. Terrifying. It just strengthened my love for him that much more, and to appreciate every single moment we have together. We're just so lucky.
I can't get his screaming out of my head....a horrifying sound.

5 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

How terrifying! None of us ever wants to get a phonecall like that! But so glad to hear you got the second one and that he was okay.

Amy said...

Wow. I can't even imagine how horrifying that must have been. You are both so lucky that he was not hurt any worse.

ladaisi said...

Oh my thank God he's okay! I freaked out when I started reading your post so I had to skim to the end and then go back to the beginning. ... Once a very dear friend of mine got in a major car accident while we were on the phone - a truly horrifying experience. You hardly even know how to blink just after hearing something like that.

kimbirdy said...

how scary!! that would have completely sent me into a terror spiral. i'm so glad he's okay, and you too {after that frantic drive to get him}.

withoutizy said...

I'm glad he's okay, but this is why you shouldn't drive and talk on a cell phone. I'm glad it's illegal in NZ.

That must have been the most terrifying conversation of your life though :(