Thursday, October 20, 2011

Quote

Today I was speaking with a close friend of mine about our jobs. I stated that I didn't want to be the norm, I didn't want the corporate position, with all of the stress, cell phone attached to me 7 days a week, checking email constantly, etc. I simply wanted to work. Do something I'm passionate about. Not have the Normal Career that society believes that you must have in this day and age. I just want to be HAPPY, I dont need the "job title" for that happiness to be achieved.

And then I came across this. It's beautiful. Struck a nerve with in me. So, I'm sharing :).






"I know that life is busy and hard, and that there’s a crushing pressure to just settle down and get a real job and khaki pants and a haircut. But don’t. Please don’t. Please keep believing that life can be better, brighter, broader, because of the art that you make. Please keep demonstrating the courage that it takes to swim upstream in a world that prefers putting away for retirement to putting pen to paper, that chooses practicality over poetry, that values you more for going to the gym than going to the deepest places in your soul. Please keep making art for people like me, people who need the magic and imagination and honesty of great art to make the day-to-day world a little more bearable. And if, for whatever reason, you’ve stopped– stopped believing in your voice, stopped fighting to find the time–start today. - Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines

1 comment:

kimbirdy said...

definitely inspirational! it seems that all the 30-somethings i know are in the same boat. we all understand that we deserve to be happy, which means we shouldn't settle for terrible jobs which take up majority of our adult life. previous generations did their duty, but ours wants to live life to the fullest. i love that. the trick is learning to pay the bills while living a full life. but plenty of people are doing it, which means it's possible for all of us.