Sunday, November 20, 2011

*Recipe* Creamy Chicken Rice Soup

Where has this weekend gone? I can't believe it's already Sunday! Thankfully I only have a 3 day work week coming up, I love holidays! :).

Today was cloudy, rainy, and just plain nasty outside! A perfect day to stay inside, which I did ALL day! I did cook up this soup I had found on Pinterest (My obsession) and it looked like a perfect meal for a rainy Sunday.




Ingredients:

4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 package of Rice-a-Roni long grain and wild rice ( I didn't have Wild Rice, so I just used Chicken Rice A Roni)
1/2 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
2 cups half and half (I used 2 cups of Fat Free Evaporated Milk)
1 cup grated carrots ( I used 2 cups of Frozen Mixed Vegetables in place of the Carrots & Celery)
1 cup diced celery

Directions:


Combine broth, water, carrots, celery, chicken and rice (along with seasoning packet) in a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Take out chicken and shred with two forks and then add back into slow cooker. In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, and flour. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour mixture by tablespoon to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Stir cream mixture into slow cooker and then let cook on low for 15 more minutes. 


I served this with Garlic Parmesan French Bread Baguettes, so delicious! What is your favorite rainy day meal? 

2 comments:

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I love chicken wild rice soup and this recipe sounds like one that not even I can screw up. I may try it this week!

Miranda said...

wow this looks delicious! i'm going to have to bookmark this recipe! new follower :) www.diesunddas33.blogspot.com