Monday, December 12, 2011

Memories of My Grandparents

Childhood memories still lay safe within my heart
Days spent digging my hands in the soil
hoping for new life being shown
Providing us food for the upcoming winter
Sitting on the pond bank with my granny, my bobber quickly disappears
Tugging of my line, my breaths quicken as I realize I have a bite.
Oh the stories I would tell my pa, when he asked how big was the catch?
His smell I can still remember
The way his unshaven face would feel prickly against mine
As I would lean in to give him a hug
Breaking beans in the late summer afternoons
Buckets quickly filling.
Perfection was my life at that moment
If I would have only realized.

4 comments:

MarieHarmony said...

This is a beautiful poem and a great way to share so pure and full of love memories. It brought me back a moment into childhood where I could feel the warmth of holidays with my Grandparents, sweet memories. Thank you.

Cranberry Morning said...

If I would have only realized...SO true. What a beautiful poem!

The Girl From Back Then said...

How lovely. I can just imagine you sat there with your pa. Love it :)

♥Jess said...

Accessory Swap is FO REALLLL happening over at my place.


http://ardjla.blogspot.com/2011/12/accessory-swap.html