Friday, March 8, 2013

New Beginnings in Oklahoma

I made it to Oklahoma on Sunday morning, yes I know,  4 days ago. It still seems surreal as I’m living in a dream, and at any given point someone is going to pinch me and I’m going to have to wake up and leave this happiness.

We left Kentucky on Saturday night at 5:30 pm and drove straight through. Some doubted me, thought I wouldn't make it, nor would I be tough enough to endure the drive. There were moments that my eyelids got heavy, but with phone calls from my sweet mamma, a couple friends and Joey, loud music and lots of caffeine we pulled into our driveway at 8:00am Sunday morning. Joey continuously called me to check on me as I was following behind him, the concern and care in his voice is one that I will always remember.

Traveling down the interstate.

After sleeping til 5:30 Sunday afternoon, we sleepily went and found some dinner. We ate at Santa Fe Cattle Company, a burger for me. I was so tired, food didn’t even really matter to me. We came home and sat out some hay for the cattle, went driving through the fields on search of wild hogs and stumbled across two buffalo skulls instead. Riding in the feed truck sitting right next to Joey, his arm wrapped around my shoulders, and my hand on his leg, I can just say that I was in heaven. Please don’t make this dream stop playing.

The rest of this week has consisted of, feeding cattle, learning how to drive a truck with a cattle trailer attached ( I rocked that shit), falling asleep and waking up next to the man that was truly  meant for me, eating breakfast & dinner together, long conversations, endless hugs and kisses (finally, no more text message kisses and hugs)! These are REAL, people! And my, they are SO wonderful! We’ve spent late nights at the stockyards helping load cattle, spending days at the livestock sales buying cattle, attempting to unpack, seeing my first armadillo (tonight) and endless laughs.

Sunday morning Joey told me he was proud of me, all as I watched the sunrise outside my window as I was arriving at my new home. A beautiful way to start my first day in my new home. It’s a moment that will be forever etched into my mind.


My first sunrise in Oklahoma 

Traveling down a dirt road 
I never knew that I could be so madly in love with my life.

4 comments:

Karleen said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful!

I'm so happy for you & wish you all the best on your new adventure!

Eleanor Parker said...

So happy, Ash! You deserve this great love and wonderful new life with Joey. Happy for both of you!

Anonymous said...

I admire your courage. Leaving the familiar behind is not easy, but stepping out to embrace love and happiness is definitely worth the risk. Looking forward to reading more about your new life. Hugs - Jasmine (ColoradoDreamin)

Gracie said...

Wow! This sounds amazing. I hope it all goes well with you :)