Saturday, July 13, 2013

(Late Post) 4th of July


I've heard BIG things about 4th of July here in Oklahoma. It's a celebration, and well, I have to say I was a bit excited to see it for my own two eyes.

Ya ever heard of a Ranch Rodeo? Well that's where Joey & I were headed, with a trailer of horses, a cooler tied on the back of the truck with beer (Keystone for him & Leinenkugel (sp?) for me), a camera with a full charge and Chris Ledoux in the CD player.

We pulled into this tiny little town and there were people everywhere. They were catering free BBQ, had a street dance, parade & of course they were ending the evening with a rodeo & fireworks.

A ranch rodeo consist of a 4 man team competing in various events that are timed. Obviously the teams that complete the most events with the quickest overall time, wins. (Ya know just a brief description.)

The opening ceremony was heart wrenching. It was dedicated to a young cowboy whose life was ended way too early. They played George Strait's "The Cowboy Rides Away" song, while leading his horse around the arena with his cowboy boots draped over the saddle. I don't believe that there was a dry eye in the house. What a tribute.

And then it was Rodeo Time....

My love 2nd to the left. :). They are waiting for the flat to drop to compete in their 1st event.




Roping Cattle for the "Sorting".



Joey chasing down the calf. I'm pretty sure i was screaming "Go, Baby, Go!) right about this time.


Wild Cow Milking. This was a hoot! And that's Joey holding the cows head. 

All in all the Ranch Rodeo was a fun night! They didn't win, but came close! Afterwards there was a couple beers drink and of course sitting under the summer evening sky watching the fireworks. Our 1st 4th of July spent together! 



No comments: